Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cars 2: Electric Bugaloo or It Takes a Big Man to Admit When He's Wrong

I admit it. For the last few months since they first released an official trailer for Cars 2, I was not excited.
Understand, I love the first Cars. Not only does the Route 66 storyline & the theme of American history fading away touch my heart in a real way, I have a deeper, sentimental attachment to that flick. The first time I sat down and watched it end-to-end was in the delivery room while my wife slept between contractions. It's not poetic license when I say that just as the end credits rolled, the doctor came in and said "time to start pushing." Those moments stick in your brain forever.

And about 2 years later, Cars became that baby, my son's favorite movie. We have no doubt watched it close to one hundred times (ok, that may include some poetic license.) I can nearly quote that movie from start to finish . . . from "Speed, I am speed." to "McQueen and Sally parked beneath a tree, k-i-somethin' somethin' . . ."

And if you ever watch the "Making of" documentary on the bonus disc, about how the PIXAR crew took a road trip down the Mother Road, it will bring a tear to your eye if you're any kind of American! Shows you how important that movie is to it's creators, as well as the audience.

Point is, I love that movie. But after about the 73rd watching, maybe 74th, it did start to become tiresome. I was very much anticipating a sequel, just for the prospect of something new for us to eventually wear out in our DVD player.

But from the get go, the previews of Cars 2 and the whole International spy thriller concept just didn't resonate with me. Not as a sequel to this sweet little character driven piece about the passing of generations and culture in small-town America.
In fact, my immediate reaction was they are making a big visual movie with colorful new backdrops, chock full of new characters (to line Target, Toys R Us, and Disney Store shelves) with no plot and without the heart that made the first one great.

To be blunt, it looked like a money move. It looked like John Lasseter had finally sold his soul for a buck.

So the Monday after the initial opening weekend, I came home from work, threw on some shorts and flip-flops, and said "Son, let's go to the movies." Now, despite my concerns, I was determined not to spoil it for the 4 year-old who couldn't wait to see it. I put on my Lightning McQueen tee, as did he and off we went. Yes, we looked like goons eating our Sbarro in the mall food court but so what? I'm always willing to look silly if it makes my kid smile. I also decided to go in with an open mind because, despite so many critics and fanboys poo-pooing Cars 2, local legend Roger Ebert gave it a glowing review, even proclaiming he liked it better than the first. I'm not one who is always swayed by critics, especially with cartoons or comic book flicks, as those genres are generally not in their wheelhouse, whereas they are very much in mine! But if Rog said it, I was willing to give it a shot.

Let me say, here and now, for the record and posterity, I was wrong. Not only do I know my misgivings were incorrect, I knew it within the first 5 minutes. Cars 2 is a great movie!
Is it better than the first? No, of course not. But that's not really a fair question. It is completely different. It really is a stand alone movie. You really could watch Cars 2 having never seen the first and enjoy it just fine. It's an action movie. And it's really funny and exciting. And I mean for adults. There is some adult humor (well, for Disney) and I was surprised at the level of violence (I guess take that as a warning.) But my little guy stayed with it the whole time, never fussed, didn't get restless (at almost 2 hours it is a long flick for a "kid's movie") and at the end he proclaimed "that was awesome!"

I am truly, as Blackbeard would say "in a bewilderment" as to why it's getting panned so much.

The ending I will say seemed a little, I don't know, thrown together. And while I actually liked that the movie at least addresses the idea of alternative fuel, I admit it kind of leaves the subject without much resolution. In fact it sort of sets us back . . . well, never mind, I don't want to say much more for fear of spoiling it. By the way, what a pleasant surprise hearing the voice of the great Eddie Izzard!

Cars 2 is solid entertainment from beginning to end. I've heard a lot of talk about how this one is Mater's movie. No, it's not. This is Finn McMissile's movie. Michael Caine steals the show all the way through, and deservedly so. I can see a whole spin-off (spin-out?) franchise of Finn McMissile movies, and I would go see them too.

Also, there are some great little Easter Eggs throughout, my favorite being "Gastow's." I'll leave it to you to figure it out. And the tribute to Paul Newman is perfectly touching and a nod to the grown-ups in the audience. I would have preferred they did something similar to the great George Carlin as well, rather than recasting him with a cheap imposter, but oh well . . .

Overall, I'll say if Cars 1 was a 9.5 out of 10, then Cars 2 is a solid 9.25. I really enjoyed it, my kid enjoyed it, and I'm willing to pay to see it one more time on the big screen. That's saying something.

Once again, ignore the critics who lost their souls years ago. See it and judge for yourself. It really is like 2 hours in an amusement park. Well worth the price of admission and a worthy sequel that really isn't even a sequel . . . which is probably the best kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment